Monday, February 6, 2023

Maestra in Vienna (Marie)

    Vienna had some of the best food and coffee on this trip so far. I was a little disappointed to find, after I spent so long anticipating the opportunity to see my grandfather’s home country, that many of those in the art scene did not have the same “come as you are” attitude I found in German and Czech artistic spaces. Even so, the difference in the culture surrounding art and music was interesting to observe.

    As a lover of history, I enjoyed learning of and experiencing the Roman influence that still lingers in Vienna. A couple of the subtle ways I saw this influence included being told “Ciao” as a hello and a goodbye, and seeing that all statues and paintings of Greek gods and goddesses were labeled by their Roman names.


    Lastly, my favorite performances of the week included the Orchestra dell’Academia Nazionale Di Santa Cecilia and the Vienna Opera’s Don Giovanni. I found the set design in Don Giovanni, composed of only rocky, barren landscapes occasionally punctuated by corn stalks or a shallow pool, with only rocks to use as props, to be incredibly thought provoking. The Orchestra dell’Academia Nazionale Di Santa Cecilia was incredibly expressive, and was already a favorite of mine because of their performance of Prokofiev’s Symphony No. 1 before they played Elgar’s Nimrod, from the Enigma Variations as an encore. Hearing this favorite of mine completely by surprise was an unforgettable experience in itself. 



Eris in front of St. Stephen's


Eris before Vienna!


The Wiener Konzerthaus


Me, sans baton in front of the big Beethoven in the lobby of 
Wiener Konzerthaus


Sans baton in front of the Beethoven in his Probusgasse apartment.


My baton in the Golden Hall


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mara-final reflection

  The trip was over all amazing. There were so many new experiences and learning opportunities.  Not only did I learn from the different mus...