Monday, February 6, 2023

Mariestra Reflection (Marie)

     I won't soon forget the experiences I had in each city on the Music Centers of the World study away trip. I didn't expect much to change about me while I was away, but I believe the constant unsureness I feel while traveling, as well as acting like a silly music tourist around smirking locals did something great for my confidence. I also would not have had anywhere near as much fun if I hadn't allowed myself to be a silly music tourist, so I'm happy I made the decision to let go.

    I thought I'd take this opportunity to share some of my favorite moments from this class, both surrounding music and away from it. My favorite performances were the Berlin Philharmonic performing Mendelssohn's Elijah, the Rachmaninoff Ballet, Kate and the Devil, and the Orchestra dell'Academia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia. The most sacred moment for me on this trip happened during the latter's performance, after the audience clapped so long they forced the entire orchestra into an encore. I was completely surprised by Edward Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma Variations, a short piece that struck me with its beauty the first time I ever heard it. To hear it being performed by such an esteemed and incredibly expressive orchestra as a surprise encore was an experience I'll never forget. I closed my eyes immediately so I could absorb the absolute beauty of it all, and just cried. In that moment my penny pinching for the trip (though it felt worth it already) felt more worth-it than it ever had thus far.

    Another favorite moment of mine was my time in Beethoven's apartment in Vienna. I may or may not have broken a rule or two for the sake of making memories, but it was worth it. Sorry I'm so young and cool and rebellious. I was also able to see the manuscripts for symphonies 3, 4, and 5 while I was in Prague, and I met the amazing Max Klinger Beethoven statue. As a Beethoven lover I was very satisfied with this trip. I love you Beethoven. 

    I have many stories from this trip that I'll be telling years from now. Thank you to Dr. Powell, because he rocks at planning music trips, and thank you me for pinching pennies for a couple years for this trip, and thanks to the ghost of Beethoven for making classical music less stuffy, and for making the 3rd, which made me an obsessive lover of classical music. I don't think I'd have these stories without it.


Feast Your Eyes


Caught being cold in front of Antonin Dvorak
Prague


Also cold in Leipzig
Leipzig


Forgs
Neues Museum, Berlin


Communicating.
Neues Museum, Berlin


That's not what he looks like
Bach Museum Gift Shop, Leipzig


>:(
Leipzig


The best coffee I've ever had made by an Italian 
man in Prague, also says "delicious paper" on the heat sleeve
delicious paper & coffee


Experiencing culture (i.e. alcohol) with my
Death in the Afternoon from an Absintherie. I actually loved it
Prague


Beethoven's piano which I didn't break any rules around
Vienna


Samlalander (Medusa)
Vienna


Lennon next to the 4,000 year old grippers
Vienna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mara-final reflection

  The trip was over all amazing. There were so many new experiences and learning opportunities.  Not only did I learn from the different mus...