Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Emma- Prague

    Prague was one of the places I was most excited for when coming on this trip and it did not disappoint! The train ride to Prague was absolutely beautiful, and it wasn't even too long which was nice. We started off our time here on a very somber note. On the first full day, we visited Terezin and had guide give us a tour of the grounds. While it was a emotionally difficult time, the guide did a very good job at explaining all the hard truths of the situation. Later that day, we went to the Czech Folklore Garden for dinner and a show. The dancing was incredibly fun to watch, especially when some of the members of our trip participated in some of it!

    The next day, we had a guided tour in the morning around Prague, which was absolutely freezing, but I saw a muskrat, so that alone helped me power through the cold. This was especially exciting because I did not just see the muskrat from the distance. This little fella was BOLD. I thought if I came closer to him, he might run away, but he actually walked right up to me and caused me to back up a little bit out of fear he might bite me! But I'm not sure if I had ever seen a muskrat before this and certainly not that close up, so it was a 10/10 experience and definitely deserves a whole paragraph in this blog.



    That night, some friends and I went up to the top of the Prague Clock Tower and got some amazing views of the city. Like Leipzig, I happened to be right up there at sunset so I guess I have impeccable timing when it comes to going to high places. That evening, we went to an art museum that had exhibits on Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali. I gotta say, I was blown away by Dali's art. I knew him from the melting clock paintings, but some of the stuff there was absolutely crazy, like bodies bending with bones coming out of skin, elephants with super long legs, and weird abstract horses. 


The next day, I went to the National History Museum, which I didn't really have high expectations for since I'm not super into history, but the amount of natural history stuff they had was amazing. They had a huge collection of rocks and minerals, models of animals from current time and prehistoric time, fossils of plants and animals, and so so so much more. That night we saw the Czech Philharmonic which had such an incredible set. I loved the choice of songs they played and I thought it was super cool that it was an entirely Czech set.



The last day, I packed a whole bunch in because I wanted to do a lot before we left Prague. First I went with some friends to the Prague Mirror Maze and we took some goofy pictures, then we climbed up almost 300 stairs at the Prague Eiffel tower to get another amazing view. After that we saw Kate and the Devil which was an incredibly entertaining opera with super fun costumes and dancing. Then we went up the Prague funicular to the Magic Cavern to see some funky art and ended off the night by going to a horror themed bar with some rad decorations. Damn! That's a lot in one day!


Next stop, Vienna! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mara-final reflection

  The trip was over all amazing. There were so many new experiences and learning opportunities.  Not only did I learn from the different mus...