Monday, February 6, 2023

Salzburg: LET US EAT CAKE

    Our last city ended up being my favorite I think, which is why it was such a shame when I got sick on our second day there. Salzburg isn't exactly a small town, but it still maintains a small town vibe with plenty to do without the crowds and hustle of the larger cities we've visited. A large fortress stands tall in the middle of the gigantic maze of historic pastel buildings and church spires, and snow capped mountains in the distance feed the idyllic river that splits the city. Of all the cities we've been to, Salzburg offered a homey and welcoming atmosphere that I'm very eager to return to. Plus, seeing sites from the Sound of Music was super cool. I know Mozart hated it, but I loved it. 

    I enjoy Mozarts music, but I never really understood why people went so crazy over the brilliance of it. However, after listening to a week of Mozart being played by some of the best orchestras in the world, I can now deeply appreciate the technique and finesse required for interpreting the Mozart style. Hearing the Mozart Credo Mass in the Church where Mozart himself was baptized was an ethereal experience, and that was definitely the best church choir I've ever heard. 

    A major highlight of the trip was taking a gondola up a mountain on the edge of the Alps. I wasn't sure we were even going to be able to see the Alps due to the foggy and overcast weather, but being able to actually walk along the ridge line overlooking a sea of mountains was incredible. I'll definitely be returning to Salzburg at some point to explore more of the beautiful downtown, wonderful music, and idyllic scenery of the surrounding area. Also to continue the search for the Mozart birthday cake Dr. Powell promised us, which we never found. Salzburg did not disappoint, except when it came to the appalling lack of free Mozart cake. :/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mara-final reflection

  The trip was over all amazing. There were so many new experiences and learning opportunities.  Not only did I learn from the different mus...