Monday, January 16, 2023

LeighAnna - Berlin

 Greetings from Germany!

Our trip got off to a great start in Berlin, with lots of sightseeing, museums, history, music, and new friends. My favorite of the four museums I visited in Berlin was the Centrum Judaicum in the Neue Synagogue. The main worship area of the synagogue was destroyed during WWII, but the front part of the building remains and has been converted to a museum about the history of the synagogue and the Jewish community in Berlin. It's a really beautiful building and what made our visit there so special was that Jesse, the director of education there and our walking tour guide earlier in the week, gave us a personal tour of the museum. We were so lucky to have him share his time and expertise, I learned a lot more from him than even what was written in the exhibits.


Another highlight of my time in Berlin, oddly enough, was breakfasts at the hostel. It was always a great way to start the day, chatting and getting to know others in the class. I had a good laugh when Lillian fell in love with the tiniest spoon. Get yourself a partner who looks at you the way Lillian looks at that spoon. 

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Ampelmann, the store dedicated to the little traffic light guy that tells you when it's safe to cross the street. East Berlin's traffic light guy has a distinctive design that has become a sort of cult icon, and Emma and I had a lot of fun at that shop. 

Overall we had a great time in Berlin and I'm so excited to see what the rest of the trip brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mara-final reflection

  The trip was over all amazing. There were so many new experiences and learning opportunities.  Not only did I learn from the different mus...