Monday, January 16, 2023

Berlin - Caroline

Hallo aus Deutschland!

Blog post #1, let's do this. Berlin is such a beautiful and fascinating city! On our first full day in the city, we took a walking tour with our fantastic guide, Jesse. We had the chance to see and learn about some of the most famous landmarks, like the Berliner Dome, the Reichstag building, the gate to the city, St. Hewwigs Cathedral, and the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe just to name a few. The memorial really struck a chord with me. As you walk through the rows within the piece you have a sense of complete isolation and uneasiness. I felt hopeful when looking at the sky or when I had a glimmer of another person within the maze. Such an emotional and through-provoking experience. We ended our tour at the Topography of Terror and learned about the people working within the Nazi government and had a chance to get a good look at a section of the Berlin Wall. Quite an emotionally and physically exhausting day, but absolutely fantastic. 


Our second day in Berlin consisted of two main activities, the Pergamon museum and an opera called Oceane. We started our morning off at the Pergamon, and wow was it fantastic. I had only seen pictures of these exhibits before this trip, and I feel so lucky to have had this experience. Upon entering the museum, I made a beeline for the Ishtar Gate. It was so massive and beautiful, I'd never seen anything like it. Making our way through the museum was really interesting, I learned and saw so much. Later in the evening, we made our way to Oceane at the opera house. The level of musicianship demonstrated during this performance was incredible. One thing I found very interesting was the color scheme of the scenes and the costumes. Everything and everyone was a shade of grey and very monotone, except the lead, Oceane. She wore this beautiful sequin silver dress. What was particularly interesting was her character was so emotionless yet showed a beautiful image to the public. The commentary on femininity was quite captivating. 


On our third full day in Berlin, all that was on the docket was the Berlin Philharmonic. I spent the day with my friend, Anika, and headed to the Potsdamer Platz shopping area. We walked around the area and acquired some goodies and came across a street market and a nice thrift shop. It was a lovely day! Then it was time for THE Berlin Philharmonic. We had the absolute pleasure of seeing Mendelssohn's Elijah live in concert. I can easily say it was the most incredible and perfect live performance I have ever seen in my life. Just wow. I had zero comments about inconsistencies or errors. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime performance. I'm so grateful for my time in Berlin, it was so very special.
The Berliner Dome.




At the Pergamon.



At the Pergamon.

At the Pergamon.









The Reichstag.



St. Hedwigs Cathedral.


The group in front of the Berliner Dome.






At the Pergamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mara-final reflection

  The trip was over all amazing. There were so many new experiences and learning opportunities.  Not only did I learn from the different mus...